Friday, October 5, 2007

The Hair on My Legs is Longer Than the Hair on My Head

Before we left Otse, there was a goodbye party. our host families were all invited and there was food. I sat quietly and praised the inventors of Cipro.

Our host mothers presented a traditional song for us, which involved clapping, dancing, and perfect three-part harmony. Seriously, I think they're genetically engineered to sing well over here. It's amazing. We responded with the Star-Spangled Banner (which, embarrassingly, most of our group didn't know), followed by a traditional American song (I Will Survive. Everyone knew this song.).

Then off to Gabs...

Whoa, this homestay is so completely different from Otse, it's like un-culture shock culture shock. I've got a 2-story house with all the modern conveniences, including a computer (without internet, unfortunately), satellite TV (with more channels than at home), a shower, and a spice rack. My host-mother is a sweetheart of 60 years and I have a 21-year old sister who's pre-med at UB. (That's the University of Botswana, not the University of Buffalo.) I have my own bedroom and free reign of the house. I can cook whenever I want or eat the food that's prepared for me. My host-mom has three other daughters, one of whom lives in Canada and graduated from Johnston and Wales, and a stepson who lives in "that place in New York, what's it called, I think Long Island." It's a small, small world...

My host-mother gave me a Setswana name: Lerato. It means love. It's also the name of a woman on Big Brother Africa: 2, which we were watching at the time. I love this family.

I finally took the combi all by myself. I totally sort of almost looked like I knew what I was doing.

How old are you?
20.
That's too young to be so far from home...but it is also good to be doing something for your future.

We've begun environmental science and social science classes at UB. Here are some highlights:

A professor asked us: "How can the US be a world leader when most of its citizens know nothing about so much of the world?" Gosh, that's embarrassaing.

As of its independence in 1966, Botswana was one of the 20 poorest countries in the world. It was so poor, (how poor was it?) it was so poor that Great Britain still had to pay the salaries of the new government officials. Fortunately, diamonds were discovered in Botswana, and now it is considered a middle-class wage country. Even more fortunately, they didn't find the diamonds earlier, or Great Britain never would've let 'em go. And our lecturer from UB's Department of Economics can't believe that the US doesn't provide free health care to its citizens.

The poverty rate is 30.1% and unemployment is 25%, but officially no one has died of starvation in Botswana.

Many Batswana don't know what ecology is, but they all know what anti-retrovirals are. Unfortunately, awareness doesn't always equal knowledge. Botswana's further development is slowed considerably because the government is currently providing ARV's to 56,000 people. 7.7% of Botswana's GDP is spent on health care. Also, though 80% of Botswana's HIV/AIDS budget comes from within, they receive a lot of help from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Currently, the HIV infection rate has been decreased to 17.1% of the total population, but in the 15-49 age group it is over 33%.

Waste management, a.k.a. shit, is a problem. "They tell us to fill every pocket with condoms, in case of an emergency, but what do we do with them when we're done?"

"Not-in-my-backyard doesn't really work. There's no such thing as 'far away'. If New Yorkers dumped their trash 'far away', it would end up in...what state is near New York?...New Jersey." Our lecturer actually said that. Without laughing.

It was recently discovered that HIV is most virulent within the first 2 weeks of infection.

Phane worms, which are actually caterpillars, are a delicacy here. Supposedly they taste like prawns. And they can't believe Americans actually eat prawns.

23% of Batswana are unmarried. 67% of unmarried people have at least one child. Though co-habitation is become popular, divorce is even more popular.

HIV/AIDS is such a big problem because the culture has failed to keep up with economic development. The economy expanded so quickly, traditional behavior has not had time to catch up.

Botswana is dry. Droughts always. Dry. Not enough water.

If you scramble the letters in WMD, you get WDM, which stands for Water Demand Management.

THough lions are still endangered, the lion hunting ban was lifted several years ago as a result of pressure from certain Americans who had investments in the lion hunting industry. (For example, George Bush, Sr.)

The woman who gave us a lecture on the effects of divorce on children in Botswana believes that, though violence is one of the main reasons for divorce, no one listens to the husband's story. Nobody would ever beat his wife for no reason at all. She must've done something.

My goodness. Culture, catch up!

An addendum to my earlier discussion of gender dynamics:

You want to know a good way to avoid unwanted harrassment from creepy men on the street? Shave your head. It also helps with keeping cool despite the relentless heat. Don't believe I would do such a thing?:



Hint: I'm the one on the end who's not Asian.
Also, today I heard the expression "teeming with giraffes" for the first time. That will be my new favorite expression.
And now, for the first time, my blog is current.

No comments: